Filled with protein, calcium and iron, these tofu sticks are a great addition to your collection of favourite recipes, especially if you’re a vegetarian or vegan. In many cases, when you choose to not eat meat (although this does make you a super awesome person) your body ends up lacking in essential minerals, such as iron. Just 100 grams of tofu gives you 30% of your total daily requirement for iron, which is really quite impressive.
Oven-Baked Tofu Sticks
1/2 package firm tofu
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the tofu into sticks, about 1/2-inch wide each.
3. Line your counter with a couple layers of paper towel, place the tofu sticks evenly across the top, then add paper towel over the tofu sticks as well.
4. Press down on the paper towel so you’re pushing down on the tofu, with any excess liquid being soaked up by the paper towel.
5. Lightly brush a baking sheet with the olive oil, then line the baking sheet with the tofu sticks.
6. Sprinkle the salt over the sticks and cook for 15 minutes on one side, before flipping them carefully and cooking for another 10-15 minutes, until the tofu is lightly browned and crispy on the outside. Serve immediately.
They taste extra delicious with a bit of tomato sauce on the side, for dipping. Because of the need to drain the tofu before baking, it’s good to make these puppies ahead of time – throw them in before a workout at home and they’ll be the perfect post-weights meal, full of protein AND carbs, both which are vital to the body’s recovery process after an intense training session.