Quinoa is a delicious ingredient, it’s really easy to make, and it can be used in a variety of delectable recipes. That definitely includes this recipe in particular. Just looking at the list of nutritious ingredients in this recipe makes me feel healthier. It takes a bit of prep time to put these pretty cakes together, but trust me, it’s well worth it.
Crispy Quinoa and Kale Cakes
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons water
1 cup diced and destemmed kale
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup diced basil leaves
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 tablespoon Tahini paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup oats, ground
1/2 cup grated sweet potato
1/2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3 tablespoons flour
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a small bowl, and set aside until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
3. While you’re waiting for the flaxseed mixture to thicken, combine all of the other ingredients together in a large bowl, using a large spoon to mix everything together well. (Avoid using your hands for this part, trust me, or you’ll just end up with a huge mess on your hands…literally). Add the flaxseed mixture once it has thickened.
4. Form the mixture into small patties and place evenly spaced on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use about 1/4 cup of the mixture per patty, using an actual dry measuring cup to do this, if possible. (Just trying to make it easier for you). Not only is this important to ensure you get the most accurate measurement per cake (you should end up with 12 patties at this size), but it’s also perfect for scooping out the mix to form the mix into nice little perfectly shaped patties for you. Just make sure you form each patty tightly together and flatten it a bit like a hamburger, so they’re not too high (the name “cakes” is a bit deceiving), otherwise they may fall apart on you while they’re cooking or after when you’re trying to eat them.
5. Bake the patties for 15 minutes, then carefully flip them over and cook for another 10 minutes.
Serve with some fresh raddichio salad, a tasty spinach and feta salad, or even alongside some roasted sweet potatoes. I’ve also enjoyed them with some tzatziki sauce on the side, which I definitely recommend trying if you want to experience ultimate deliciousness in your mouth.