Maybe it means I’ve been watching my daughter play Just Dance a tad too often, but the name seemed perfect for this dish, a favourite around our house. It’s wholesome and healthy, and the best part is you can add in whatever extra veggies you want, or replace some – it’s super easy and you can try out different things and create your own delicious mash-up meal.
Rice and Veggie Mash-Up
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
2. Add the peppers, cover and cook for 7-8 minutes, flipping them every couple of minutes to ensure they cook evenly.
3. Add the zucchini and cover again, cooking for another 5 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
4. Turn the heat to low and add the diced tomatoes, cooking just until the tomatoes are warmed. Pour the hot sauce in and mix well.
5. Combine the vegetable mixture and the rice together in a large bowl and serve immediately.
Personally, I like the bit of hot sauce added at the end to give it some heat, but as with most other dishes, I always take the little one’s portion out first, before mixing the hot sauce in. I’ll wait until she’s older before getting her hooked on the Frank’s. If anyone in your house has a sensitive palette, you can always skip the hot sauce and it will still be a mouthwatering dish that’s sure to impress.