We all have our own favourite Mexican restaurants (I know I do), but when you feel like whipping up some Mexican dishes at home, this is one you have to try. Bell peppers are great because they can be used in so many different ways. Try adding some into an already delicious wrap, or make some yummy breaded pepper sticks as a side dish.
Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers
1 tablespoon salt
4 large green peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups rice, cooked
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can chili-style diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sprinkle the salt into a large pot of water and bring to a boil.
3. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes (rinsing the inside of the peppers with a bit of water afterward helps get any leftover seeds out).
4. Cook the peppers in the boiling water for for 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened. Drain and rinse in cold water, set aside.
5. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, mix together the onion, black beans and tomatoes, along with the chili powder and cumin, stirring everything together well.
7. Add about 1 1/2 cups of the shredded Mexican cheese into the rice mixture, stirring a couple of times.
8. Fill the peppers with the rice mixture, then arrange the peppers in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top of the peppers.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is hot and bubbling.
These peppers are filling enough to eat on their own as a main dish, but you could also pair them with a small piece of garlic bread or a simple green salad.