I whipped this recipe up one pre-grocery-shopping-day day, when food was running a bit low. There wasn’t any zucchini to make some delish zucchini fries, but I did still have a couple of red and yellow peppers. Why not? It turned out really great, and now I have a new side for meals.
Breaded Pepper Sticks
Extra virgin olive oil
3 bell peppers, sliced into strips (any colour)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet with some olive oil and preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add the flour into one bowl, whip the eggs and milk together in a second bowl, and add the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese into the third.
3. Take a few of the pepper strips (I cut them into about 1-inch wide pieces) and drench them in the flour.
4. Coat them in the egg and milk mixture next, then dip them into the breadcrumb and Parmesan mixture, coating them evenly on both sides.
5. Place the breaded pepper sticks onto the baking sheet, and repeat this until you have used up all of the pepper strips.
6. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the peppers and sprinkle the salt and pepper over top, before putting them in the oven.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes.
8. Remove with a spatula and serve immediately.
These are great on their own with homemade chipotle mayo or some spicy hummus for dipping, or alongside a tasty salad, or a yummy rice or quinoa dish.