This broccoli and potato soup recipe is sure to become one of your favourites. Soup is so easy to make at home, and it’s the best way because then you know exactly what’s going into it.
Broccoli and Potato Soup
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 onions, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 cups vegetable stock
2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
1 head of broccoli, stems cut into chunks and florets reserved
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Add the oil into a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat.
2. When the oil is warm, add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
4. Add in the stock, grated potatoes and broccoli stems.
5. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper, and cook until the potatoes have broken down, about 15 minutes.
6. Add the nutmeg and broccoli florets, turn down the heat and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
7. Pour the soup into bowls for serving and sprinkle the cheese over immediately before serving.
This soup is perfect on a cold, wintry day, or, if you prefer, even slightly chilled any other time of the year.